Finding support systems after a brain injury can be scary, but they can make a huge difference in rehabilitation, recovery and daily life for survivors and their loved ones.
There are a lot of wonderful and amazing people across British Columbia doing their best to assist survivors of brain injury and their families, so below is a directory to all known BC service groups and associations.
However, it can be tricky to find an association or group that you will be comfortable with, so in order to help, we have put together a list of recommended questions to ask when making first contact:
1. What are their hours and days of operation?
2. Are there any restrictions to membership and/or to receive services?
3. Are there any fees for services?
4. Are there fees for membership?
5. Do they have handicapped parking and access?
6. What services are provided?
- Do they provide drop-in services?
- Do they provide case management services?
- Do they teach coping and compensatory skills?
- Do they have rehabilitation activities and education?
- Do they offer peer and support groups?
- Do they have social functions?
- Do they offer help with behavioral problems?
- Do they have a resource library?
- How many members do they have?
- What is the average age of members?
- How many staff do they have?
- What are their professional qualifications/certifications?
- Do they use volunteers?
- Are there volunteer opportunities for survivors?
If you find a listing inactive, with information that needs updating, or if you would like to have your group, association or society added, please email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Directory Listing‘ in the subject line.
Alberni Valley Head Injury Society
2826 Carmichael Crescent
Port Alberni, BC V9Y 7V6
B.R.A.I.N (Brain Resource Advocacy & Information Network)
c/o #1001- 525 8th St
New Westminster, BC V3M 6H2
BC Centre for Ability
Vancouver, BC V5R 5H9
BrainTrust Canada – Kelowna Office
#11 – 368 Industrial Ave
Kelowna, BC V1Y 7E8
BrainTrust Canada – Vernon Office
120, 4412-27th street
Vernon, BC V1T 4Y4
Bulkley Valley Brain Injury Association
3862B Broadway Avenue
Campbell River Head Injury Support Society
591 9th Ave
Campbell River, BC V9W 4B5
Comox Valley Head Injury Society
102 – 254 Simms St.
Courtenay, BC V9N 5W1
Fraser Valley Brain Injury Association
#204-2890 Garden Street
Abbotsford, BC V2T 4W7
Interior BC Brain Injury Services South Okanagan
246 Martin Street Suite 105
Penticton B.C. Canada
Kamloops Brain Injury Association
408 Victoria Street
Kamloops, BC V2C 2A7
Langley Community Support Groups Society
Walnut Grove Community Centre
8889 Walnut Grove Drive
Nanaimo Brain Injury Society
285 Prideaux Street
Nanaimo, BC V9R 2N2
North Okanagan Shuswap Brain Injury Society
PO Box 760
250 Alexander St.
Salmon Arm, BC V1E 4N8
Northern Brain Injury Association (NBIA)
1237 4th Avenue
Prince George, BC V2L 3J5
Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network (P.L.A.N)
#260- 3665 Kingsway
Vancouver , BC V5R 5W2
Powell River Brain Injury Society
201-4741 Marine Avenue
Powell River, BC V8A 2L2
Prince George Brain Injured Group Society
1070 Fourth Ave.
Prince George, BC V2L 3J1
South Okanagan Similkameen Brain Injury Society
# 2 – 996 Main St.
Penticton, BC V2A 5E4
Strive Living Society
Vancouver Brain Injury Association
220-145 Chadwick Court
North Vancouver BC V7M 3K1
Victoria Brain Injury Society
Unit D & E 830 Pembroke Street
Victoria, BC V8T 1H9
West Kootenay Brain Injury Association
2nd Floor, 709 – 10th Street
Castlegar, BC V1N 2T7